2021-06-29

SQL Server Alert System: 'Severity 023' and 'Severity 020' with Transactional Replication

This is not so much a question just a post about the resolution I came to since and I was unable to find anything online about it.

I had a SQL Server host failure, had to migrate to a new host and bring over the SQL Server VM from backups. Once the SQL Server was back online, I restored each database from a backup drive that was still working properly. Shortly after it was all brought back online, I started receiving the errors below:

SQL Server Alert System: 'Severity 023' DESCRIPTION: "An error occurred while processing the log for database 'DBName'. If possible, restore from backup. If a backup is not available, it might be necessary to rebuild the log."

SQL Server Alert System: 'Severity 020' DESCRIPTION: A system assertion check has failed. Check the SQL Server error log for details. Typically, an assertion failure is caused by a software bug or data corruption. To check for database corruption, consider running DBCC CHECKDB. If you agreed to send dumps to Microsoft during setup, a mini dump will be sent to Microsoft. An update might be available from Microsoft in the latest Service Pack or in a QFE from Technical Support.

I found all sorts of posts online saying to rebuild my log after setting my DB to emergency mode or restoring from backup. The odd thing was the DB was still up and running properly with no issues on our website.

Come to find out that all I had to do was fix my replication publications. Since the replication was not working, the Log file was increasing in size and SQL Server could not access the log file for whatever it was trying to do.

So I just right clicked on each publication that was failing > Generate Scripts > click on Drop and then Create so I have both sets of scripts. Now my errors are gone. Wish it was something I would have looked at to begin with!



from Recent Questions - Stack Overflow https://ift.tt/2Tf2EaS
https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

No comments:

Post a Comment