2022-03-24

@types/node not recognised anymore after PnP loader mjs install

I have recently discovered Yarn 3 and so far I was quite happy with the PnP features. Since I mainly work with monorepos, I wanted to make use of Yarn workspaces. Unfortunately, I cannot get basic things to work. I have set up a test project to highlight the problem.

Setup & Configuration

[1] The project has the following structure

monorepo/
  .env
  - frontend/
    - app/
      - src/
  - tools/
    - scripts/
      - src/
         - script.ts

[2] I then initialise the project by running

yarn set version berry
yarn init

[3] followed by installing the basic packages to get my script running

yarn add -D typescript ts-node @types/node dotenv
yarn plugin import typescript

I have also initialised the scripts package in the scripts/ folder, running yarn init.

[4] I then added my workspaces to the freshly created package.json

// package.json

{
  "name": "monorepo",
  "packageManager": "yarn@3.2.0",
  "devDependencies": {
    "@types/node": "^17.0.22",
    "dotenv": "^16.0.0",
    "ts-node": "^10.7.0",
    "typescript": "^4.6.2"
  },
  "workspaces": [
    "frontend/*",
    "tools/*"
  ],
}

[4] I run

yarn install
yarn dlx @yarnpkg/sdks vscode

to create the workspace and install the VSCode SDK to get Typescript support for my IDE.

So far so good, I can print the workspace list and everything seems to be set up right. In my script.ts file however, I want to read a constant from the .env file

// script.ts

import "dotenv/config";

const script = () => {
  const getEnv = process.env.SCRIPT;
  console.log(getEnv);
};

script();

and I can run

yarn ts-node tools/scripts/script.ts

>> Hello script

without problem.

The problem

Since I need the package @graphql-codegen/cli later on as a dependency I have installed this via

yarn workspace scripts add @graphql-codegen/cli

which adds a .pnp.loader.mjs to the root folder. This is not a problem as long as I don't have a tsconfig.json inside the scripts/ folder! Once I do that I get the error

Cannot find name 'process'. Do you need to install type definitions for node? Try `npm i --save-dev @types/node`.

in the script.ts file. If I add "types": ["node"] to the compiler options in the tsconfig, I get

Can't get definition file for 'node'.

I have looked at several posts but I cannot get this working. Why in the first place .pnp.loader.mjs gets installed? It seems like it's still experimental (considering the Yarn output:

ESM support for PnP uses the experimental loader API and is therefore experimental

This is driving me crazy, any suggestions? Thanks! 🙌



No comments:

Post a Comment