2021-12-28

Exclude null values from GraphQL query

Disclaimer, I am still a noob in GraphQL.

Apologies for the long post, but I need to give as much information as possible to explain my issue.

I am currently trying to query my Neo4j using GraphQL and then tabulate the data using ReTool.

I managed to do most of the work but when I query the database, I also get the null values.

You can access the sandbox below to test yourself a probable solution. https://codesandbox.io/s/great-marco-coy3k

The query I am using is the following:

query {
  people{
    child{
      firstname{
        name
      }
      middlename{
        name
      }
      lastname{
        name
      }
      phone{
        name
      }
      email{
        name
      }
      dob{
        name
      }
      eid{
        name
      }
    }
  }
}

Response

As you can see, I get back a mixture of null and none-null values.

What I would like to get back is the children that has data in them and ignore the null ones. The reason for that is when I try to populate my table, the null values appear there too.

I need to stress on the fact that I'd still need to retrieve "child" even if one or more of the objects are null as depicted in the image below:

The middlename is null which is completely fine

While doing some research, I noticed that other people have the same problem I am facing (example), but most replies said there is no direct solution to this problem, many talked about adjusting the resolver which I am not sure how to do. The resolver file was already set by Neo4j Sandbox automatically and I don't know how to adjust it.

To provide more information regarding the root cause of the problem, you can check the Neo4j schema below:

Neo4j Schema

As you can see, the two-person nodes that have the relationship MASTER_OF and CHILD_OF are similar. When I query people{child{firstname name}...} I get the value of the node that has a IN CHILD_OF relationship and null for the node that has IN MASTER_OF relationship.



from Recent Questions - Stack Overflow https://ift.tt/3sKe6ue
https://ift.tt/3pxM0Re

No comments:

Post a Comment